Where is Browns Canyon?
Is it a popular place?
Why do people enjoy this river for rafting purposes?
Browns Canyon is a beautiful, stunning part of Colorado that draws large crowds year after year. This location is a popular place to do whitewater rafting among other exciting outdoor activities.
***TRY TRUCKEE RIVER RAFT IN TAHOE: Uncover Truckee River Raft in Tahoe in our rafting review feature. Truckee River Rafting.
JUMP TO A SECTION:
***VISIT ROYAL GORGE WHITE WATER RAFTING: Uncover Royal Gorge whitewater river rafting in our review feature. Royal Gorge Rafting.
Here are a few reasons why tourists come back to Browns Canyon again and again:
- There’s lots to do and plenty to see in the area. Whether you’re looking for whitewater rafting specifically or you want a big, outdoorsy adventure for your next vacation, there’s something for you in this part of Colorado.
- There are plenty of raft touring companies to pick from in Browns Canyon. Whether you’re looking for something for a half day or you want to book a longer trip, there’s sure to be a company that will work with you to make your dreams a reality.
- Rafting season lasts for several months in Colorado, so there are plenty of opportunities to visit Browns Canyon as well as many other popular rafting locations in the state.
Of course, there are a lot of reasons people might want to make the trip to Browns Canyon. Whatever your reason might be, if you’re thinking of visiting this popular destination, be sure to check out the information we’ve put together below to help you get started.
Read on to find out if Browns Canyon rafting is right for you.
***YOUGH WHITEWATER RAFTING: Experience Ohiopyle whitewater rafting in our Yough River feature. Ohiopyle White Water Rafting.
Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
Location: Buena Vista, Colorado
Notable Locations on the River: Zoom Flume rapids, Pinball rapids, Browns Canyon National Monument
Duration: Half Day
- Because of the nature of Browns Canyon, many touring companies also offer shorter excursions that only last a couple of hours or so. This can be a fun way to get out on the water for a little while without committing the majority of your day to the trip.
- It’s rare to find full-day trips on Browns Canyon, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Because it’s such a popular place to raft, shorter trips tend to take precedence. However, if you plan to travel during the off-season in particular, you may be able to find something longer.
If you’re looking for some challenging thrills and excellent scenery along one of the most popular whitewater rafting river stretches in the country, look no further than Browns Canyon! Located in one of the most well-known and beloved rafting areas of Colorado, near Buena Vista, Browns Canyon provides opportunities for moderate to very experienced rafters of almost any age. Those who have toured the area by raft before are sure to find something new and exciting to enjoy with each return to the river, while newcomers to Browns Canyon will be left breathlessB by the stunning views and indescribable rapids.
Browns Canyon was just designated as a National Monument in 2015, but it’s been enjoyed again and again by rafters and other outdoor adventurers for much longer than that. Everyone in the family is sure to find something to love about their whitewater trip through Browns Canyon. And with many different trips and treks available to choose from, you should have no trouble booking a vacation that is sure to be talked about for many years to come.
***GLACIER RAFT CO IN GLACIER NATIONAL PARK: Discover the West Glacier with Glacier Rafting Company in our Glacier National Park raft feature. Glacier Raft Company.
- Most half-day trips consist of about 10 miles on the river, giving everyone in the party a good opportunity to experience rafting without becoming too exhausted.
- There is a good balance on this trip between rapids and calmer, more scenic paddling, so most of the journey is moderate rather than difficult.
- For those looking for more challenge, however, there are some Class IV rapids to maneuver throughout Browns Canyon.
- Kids as young as seven years old can accompany adult family members on this journey most of the time, unless the water is very high and dangerous.
- There are some times of the year in which the water levels may not be high enough for safe rafting through Browns Canyon, so your trip may end up cancelled, cut short, or rescheduled depending on the company you’re planning to book with.
- If you plan to go during the busiest time of the year, you run the risk of having to share the river with a large number of other people.
- There may not be ample camping available along this river, depending on the time when you visit.
- There are not as many day trips or multi-day trips available on this river as there are with some others.
As you can see, Browns Canyon has earned its reputation as one of the most popular rafting destinations for a reason! The scenery is breathtaking, the thrills are exciting, and there are many reasons to come back and visit again and again, no matter how many times you’ve rafted this refer before.
And if you’re a newcomer to the world of whitewater rafting, don’t worry! Much of Browns Canyon is newcomer-friendly and is great for beginners and kids as well. Just make sure to work with a company that is committed to helping you choose the best package and best trip for your needs, and you’ll be good to go!
But what’s the best time of the year to visit Browns Canyon? Is there a time when you should plan your trip, or can it be enjoyable for most of the year?
- When making your travel plans, it’s important to book everything far enough ahead of time so you can take your tour when you want to.
- With that said, the official rafting season for Colorado—including Browns Canyon—is April through September.
- Most touring companies recommend that beginners should book their trips from June to August to enjoy the best possible weather conditions and water levels.
- Early season and late season water levels may not be as ideal, but they can still offer their own unique challenges and excitement, too.
- Keep in mind that booking during the winter months does not ensure you’ll have a spot on a raft. During winter, the water levels may be too low for safe rafting conditions.
Here are a few pros of coming during the busy season:
- During the busiest time of the year, you can enjoy all the benefits of tourist season in a place you’ve never visited before. This is a great time to be in an unfamiliar location!
- During the busy season, the scenery and wilderness in this area is at its best and is sure to be breathtaking.
- Water levels are more likely to be high enough for rafting at this time of the year, meaning your trip won’t be cancelled or rescheduled at the last minute.
And here are a few cons of coming during this time of the year:
- Tourist season is busy anywhere, and Colorado is no different. You’re likely to have more trouble finding lodging and other conveniences when visiting when the area is packed with people.
- Some local wildlife may be more scared away by the crowds during the busy season, so animal viewing may be more difficult.
- Some companies may charge more for rafting trips at this time of the year.
Whenever you choose to make your trip to Browns Canyon, you’re sure to build memories that will last a lifetime!