What is Oars Rafting?
What kinds of services do they offer?
How long has it been around?
Oars Rafting has been in business since 1969, and in 1974, it relocated to California where it is still based today. The OARS California Rafting company was founded by George Wendt, who made adventure travel his life’s purpose and helped change the face of this hobby over the many decades in which he was involved with it.
***TRY TRUCKEE RIVER RAFT IN TAHOE: Uncover Truckee River Raft in Tahoe in our rafting review feature. Truckee River Rafting.
The OARS California Rafting company is still owned by his sons and remains, at its core, a business dedicated to safe, responsible, and enjoyable adventure travel. Anyone who is interested in whitewater rafting has probably come across Oars, either for its guided tours or for its outfitting and gear.
This is a company that has been around for a long time and continues to hold its place in the world of whitewater rafting and adventures.
***VISIT ROYAL GORGE WHITE WATER RAFTING: Uncover Royal Gorge whitewater river rafting in our review feature. Royal Gorge Rafting.
Take a look at more of the information we’ve gathered about this OARS White Water Rafting company below.
JUMP TO A SECTION:
***YOUGH WHITEWATER RAFTING: Experience Ohiopyle whitewater rafting in our Yough River feature. Ohiopyle White Water Rafting.
CHECK THEM HERE: https://www.oars.com/
Transfers and Land Transportation:
- There is no shuttle service available from surrounding hotels to meeting sites.
- In many areas, Uber or Lyft are available for taking you from your hotel to the meeting site specified.
- There is land transportation available from the meeting site to the starting point of your rafting adventure, and from the ending point to another meeting site at the end of your journey.
- This transportation is included in the cost of your trip.
Experience of Guides:
- Oars Rafting is committed to offering guides who know what they’re doing every step of the way.
- These guides are trained in rafting, river safety, and in teaching that river safety to their guests as well.
- All trips involve more than one guide. This is to allow for the maximum possible safety of everyone involved—both guides and guests alike.
- Guides are also taught how to travel responsibly and encourage their guests to do the same thing. This means remaining respectful to nature and cultures in the OARS Whitewater Rafting area as well as supporting the community and appreciating the nature that makes up the surrounding scenery.
- Responsible travel, for Oars Rafting, also involves avoiding over-visited areas so as not to further disrupt nature.
Equipment and Gear Rental:
- Most required equipment is included as part of the price. You will receive access to oars, wetsuits, and a tent as well as ingredients for meals if your trip includes meals.
- The only gear you may have to pay to rent is a sleeping kit. You are welcome to bring your own sleeping kit, as long as it meets requirements, but you can also rent these items for a small fee as part of your rafting trip.
- Oars Rafting does not offer individual raft rental.
- Each trip includes the cost of raft use in the base price.
Overall Price: $$$$
- The price of the trips available from Oars may be a little bit higher than some other comparable companies out there. However, this is because the trips include almost all of the essentials with only a few upgrades available at an extra cost. These trips are also often longer than many others on the market.
Customizable Options and Packages:
- Most packages are at least somewhat customizable and allow you to choose the date and time of your departure as well as the length of your trip.
- Some packages may be further customizable and allow you to add on wine or beer at an additional cost.
- Group rates are available for some trips; reach out to the OARS California Rafting company for more information.
- There are many specialty group trips available for scheduling, including the following:
- Women only
- Wine tasting
- Beer tasting
- Wilderness cooking
- Astronomy and stargazing
- And more
Meals and Add-Ons:
- Long-term trips that last a full day or more include meals as part of the price.
- Wetsuits are required for some trips and are included as part of the price as well.
- Sleep kits may be added on at an additional cost, although tents are included for overnight trips.
- Many customers report being pleased with the number of tour guides available on longer trips; more tour guides means increased safety on the river.
- Tour guides are trained in keeping their guests safe and comfortable as well as entertained, especially during the more peaceful parts of the river.
- On longer trips that involve overnight stays, guides are well-versed in the OARS Whitewater Rafting area and are capable of educating and informing guests while helping them set up and take down their campsites as well.
- Longer trips include meals as part of the package and offer other useful add-ons that can make your trip more convenient and easier for everyone involved as well.
- Shorter trips are no less enjoyable than longer ones and offer many of the same benefits over a shorter period of time, especially including the knowledgeable staff and guides at every step of the way.
- In rare instances, some customers have reported the booking office changing information about trips (such as meeting places and times) at the last minute without notifying everyone in the group of the change.
- Depending on the weather and water levels and conditions, there is always the chance that trips will be cancelled or rescheduled with very little warning, although the company has policies and plans in place if this should happen to you.
- Many of the most popular trips will require all guests to sign up well in advance and may require advance payment as well, so it can be tricky to plan ahead of time depending on the trip you want to take.
- Rarely, some of the guides have been known to be a little too tough for kids, even on trips where kids are welcome.
- It is always possible that you and your group may be placed with another group or with some single passengers, so you might end up with strangers as part of your trip.
Visit Oars White Water Rafting And Enjoy
Is this company recommended? Should you go with Oars if you’re planning to take a rafting tour?
If you’ve got plans to go whitewater rafting as part of a guided tour, you can’t go wrong with Oars. This OARS White Water Rafting company provides experienced guides, high-quality gear, and everything you need to have the safest possible trip and enjoy yourself at the same time.
***GLACIER RAFT CO IN GLACIER NATIONAL PARK: Discover the West Glacier with Glacier Rafting Company in our Glacier National Park raft feature. Glacier Raft Company.
What kinds of customers can make the most out of Oars Rafting? Is it for everyone?
Ideally, customers who book a trip with Oars should have some experience with prior rafting trips. These are more adventure-based rafting excursions, so they require some working knowledge of whitewater rafting already. With that said, however, many of these trips can work well for those who may not be complete beginners but aren’t overly experienced, either. For the most part, the moderate rafter should be able to enjoy these trips, and there are plenty of challenges available for the advanced rafter, too.
Some of the milder trips available from Oars are suitable for families, while other more intense trips are better for adults only. Most trips offer package deals and custom options to help you find the right fit.
Whichever trip you choose, you’re sure to have a great time with Oars!